Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dainty Is Gone From Women's Wristwaches

I first noticed it some months ago on my niece's arm. Her wristwatch looked like a man's, its metallic band wide, thick, bulky. The clock face itself was big and round and bold, like a wall clock for the arm. No straining to read it.

My niece is nothing if not a fashion plate, so the style of this accessory was either an incident involving her having to borrow her husband's watch, or a deliberate choice. We talked about all kinds of topics in this family gathering and time ran out before I got to the matter of her watch, so I left it alone, happily living with the ambiguity.

A few days later, I got together with some women friends for dinner. One of them was sporting a similar kind of masculine wristwatch. Too much coincidence, I thought, plus my friend didn't have a husband or boyfriend at this point, so it was unlikely this was a loan. And then I started noticing them on every other woman who by look and style could credibly claim to have an interest in fashion. It seemed that if a woman had acquired a watch recently, it was in this hefty style.

I checked several web sites for watches and found that the variety is endless, not surprisingly. But, it seemed that all brands are displaying their wide-band big-face styles first. Then I found this headline in one of the websites: Chopard Happy Sport Chrono Women's Watch Gets a Masculine Face LiftRugged stainless steel mixed with diamonds.

That would explain it. If a leading brand goes for a certain style, the others follow. What possessed Chopard? Can't say that I know, but it probably is a good move. A watch is supposed to enhance its wearer's confidence and status, and those are two accessories women can certainly use.

No comments:

Post a Comment